Pittsburgher Highland Farm is a growing operation. We work hard to provide quality 100% grass fed Highland beef to a growing customer base, and to do that we must insure that all of our slaughter animals are raised according to high standards. That includes animals purchased by us from other growers, especially those animals designated for slaughter.
Pittsburgher Highland Farm will purchase Scottish Highland or (up to 50%) Highland cross slaughter animals only if they meet our strict criteria for grass fed assurance, pedigree, and humane treatment (seller will be asked to certify by signature at the time of purchase):
- Animals are 100% grass-fed according to USDA standard, having never been fed corn, grain or other non-grass or legume.
- Animals have been raised using organic principals (do not have to be USDA certified organic) and naturally raised per USDA standard.
- Body Condition Score (BCS) of six to eight.
- The animals have been raised and handled in a humane manner per Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) or similar guidelines.
- No added hormones, anabolic steroids or sub-therapeutic feed antibiotics have been applied/fed to the animals.
- Complete health records including vaccinations, inoculations, brands, anti-parasitic and all other treatments will be kept on all animals.
- Animals sold as open should not be bred and animals sold as steers should be completely neutered.
- Highlands or Highland crosses will meet all criteria set forth by the Quality Highland Beef (QHB) program.
Contact Mark Harvey Smith at 412-585-2227 or email [email protected] if you have cattle to sell.